Prof. Osamu Onomura
Dean of School of
Welcome to Our Website
Nagasaki had been the only door opened to Asian and European cultures by the mid-19th century when Japan was closed to the world. This historical background had been attracting a large number of young people in nationwide to come to Nagasaki. By efforts of a Germany physician, Philipp Franz Balthasar von Siebold and a Dutch physician, J. L. C. Pompe van Meerdervoort et al., western science, an above all medical and pharmaceutical sciences were born in Nagasaki and accomplished rapid development. The mind was succeeded to Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences established in Fifth Higher Middle School, Department of Medicine(origin of today’s School of Pharmaceutical Sciences) in 1890 and continues growing until today.
In our history, an event that should be mentioned specially is the tragic experience of the atomic bombing on August 9 in 1945. Atomic bomb, completely demolished the school building and caused a large number of victims. Although a closedown or a transfer to other universities was examined, it revived as School of Pharmaceutical Sciences by the devoted efforts of a teachers, students and alumuni and alumna in 1949. Dr. Osamu Shimomura who was awarded The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2008 for "The discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein, GFP" is our senior who graduated in 1951 from the Nagasaki Medical Specialized School, Division on Pharmaceutical Sciences (later School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagasaki University).
The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry established in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences had two subject system in 1967. In 1986, the Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry of the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences were restructured to establish the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences consisting of the four major lectures In 2006, Department of Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was reorganized into Pharmacy(six-year program) aiming at clinical pharmacist upbringing and Pharmaceutical Sciences(four-year program) aiming at researcher upbringing.
On the other hand, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences established in 1965 was reorganized into the Departments of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry of the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences in 1971, and then were restructured to establish the Department of Medical Pharmacy(the Master ‘s course and Doctral course) in 1986. In 2002, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences was established to adapt its educational platforms to the rapid developments in biomedical sciences, by integrating and reorganizing the Graduate Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences. As a result, the interchange between each department, collaborative investigation with plural laboratories were activated.
Our goal is to foster researchers, educators, and specialists with advanced professional skills and expertise who can be world leaders in basic research, advanced medical treatment, drug development, and health care.